Change in IS Focus
As information systems have developed, new areas of focus have been added.
1 Cost reduction
- Managing internal processes
- Primarily replacing manual processes with computers
2 Improving asset utilization
- Examples include increasing inventory turnover and improved scheduling
- Decision support systems
3 Enhancing products and services
- Using IS to add value to products and services
- Using IS to create new products and services
Improve Competitive Position
4 Restructuring the organization
Staying in Business
5 Restructuring the Value Chain
- Examples include elimination of distribution steps, manufacturer to order, and direct sales to the consumer
Source: Primozic, Kenneth, Primozic, Edward & Leben, Joe. (1991). Strategic Choices: Supremacy, Survival, or Sayonara. New York: McGraw-Hill.
© Copyright 2000 Raymond S. Kulzick. All rights reserved. 000829.
This publication provides business, financial planning, and/or tax information to our clients. All material is for general information only and should not be acted upon without seeking appropriate professional assistance.