What Are Forensic Accounting Litigation Services?
Civil litigation involves disputes between entities, governments,
and/or individuals. These disputes can be quite complex and involve numerous financial and
other claims, counterclaims, allegations, and issues. Expertise in financial and business
areas combined with investigative skills are often required to pursue or defend a
The issues involved in the particular case, rather than the legal
nature of the case, normally determine the types and extent of outside expert involvement
Litigation services may be required to:
- Analyze what has happened in a particular situation
- Determine the issues and facts involved
- Provide forensic services
- Project what would have happened if not for the litigated issues
- Explain the facts
- Render a professional opinion
- Testify regarding our professional opinion
We may be employed by a party to the litigation, their attorneys, or
directly by triers of fact (courts, arbitrators, mediators). As a matter of policy, our
firm does not work directly with litigants unless they are represented by legal counsel.
Our Role in Litigation:
An increasingly complex business, economic, and legal environment
has expanded the need for qualified accountants and enlarged their role in the litigation
process. A CPA experienced in business and qualified in the specific issues involved in
the particular litigation case is an indispensable addition.
Our firm works with the client, the clients attorney, and
other experts in a variety of roles depending on the case. Our background in finance,
computers, and business provides an essential element in the overall case preparation,
negotiation, and trial.
We can assist in the following major areas:
- Identify financial and other issues.
- Search for missing, hidden, and distorted financial information.
- Reconstruct lost, changed or destroyed documents and financial
- Investigate allegations of fraud, theft, misappropriation, and other
- Apply our extensive business experience to uncover half-truths.
- Assist in locating missing cash and other assets.
- Coordinate with other experts, investigators and consultants.
- Identify alternative financial approaches and strategies.
- Analysis of case documents regarding facts, issues and claims.
- Assist in preparation of documentation requests and interrogatories
and review of responsiveness to these.
- Assist in preparation for depositions of opposing parties and
- Projections of financial consequences of various settlement options.
- Analysis and quantification in financial areas.
- Utilization of the latest technology for timely and professional
- Preparation and documentation of "expert witness" reports.
- Review and analysis of other experts findings and procedures.
- Preparation of exhibits and visuals.
Trial or alternative resolution:
- Clear and concise explanation and presentation of financial
information and other complex issues.
- Presentation and support of expert opinions.
We serve as:
- Consultant to advise the attorney on potential litigation strategies
as well as the areas listed above.
- Expert witness to testify at depositions and trial.
As experts, we can add to the overall team through our:
- Productivity in case preparation
More information on Dr. Kulzick's